About Me

Recent graduate of Texas Tech University. I am now working for the "man" and hating it.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Thinking of a name

When I decided to create this blog, it took me only 5 minutes to hit my first obstacle... thinking of a title. So I figued it was only fitting that my first entry chronicle the overcoming of this obstacle.

As I sat here in my cube attempting to look busy to anyone who happens to wander by, I began to realize the importance of the name of my blog. Not only should it be original and project a little about myself, it should (if by some miracle this blog becomes something that people actually want to read) be a bit catchy.

My first title ideas, brain droppings (taken from the title of a George Carlin book) and cerebral flatulence (taken from one of my old baseball coaches and was by far the least offensive of the things he would say), were already taken and definitely lacked originality. These two choices were aimed at portraying the stupidity and irrelevance of most of the entries that will be contained in my blog. So after staring at my monitor for a period of time that is way to long to spend on something so trivial, I consulted my friends for help. Within minutes of sending an e-mail, I had received numerous responses.

Friend #1 suggested, among other things, The Epic Life and Times of G-Rot (G-Rot is a not-very-clever nickname this friend has given me). Friend #1 is characterized by his short e-mails that consistently include the phrases "please advise" and "that is all," as well as a blatant overusage of the word "epic." This was easily dismissed due to the fact that there is absolutely nothing "epic" about my life thus far.

Friend #2 suggested astroturf for no apparent rhyme or reason. Despite the temptation to derive some off-the-wall, far-fetched explanation for why I chose this as a title, I dismissed that one as well.

Other suggestions included: Another Day Another Dollar, I Get More Ass Than a Toilet Seat, How Does My Dick Taste?, How's Your Wife and My Kid?, G-Money and the Special Sauce, Confessions of a Douche-Bag, Get a Life, and other various low-blows aimed at myself.

My conclusion? I need different friends.

The name I ultimately decided on, Musings of a Firsty Firsty, was submitted by a coworker. The reason for my decision will be explained in the next post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo dude you are offically a blogger. Time to quit the day job and take this shit to the next level!

Unknown said...

As previously stated: You have missed your calling! I've got an idea- Lesbians working at burrito places- there are more than average amounts of lesbians rolling burritos at Freebirds and Chipolte, one might think that sort of place would be a turn off?