About Me

Recent graduate of Texas Tech University. I am now working for the "man" and hating it.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wreck'em Tech!



I am a graduate of Texas Tech University. I loved my four eventful years there and often wish that I was still in the dusty, out-of-the-way place. This past weekend, when I made the pilgrimage back to the Hub City for the Texas Tech vs. Texas football game, I got a refresher course on why I love Lubbock so much.

Geographically, there is nothing good about the West Texas town. It is far from any other city. It is so flat that you can watch your dog run away for three days (I know, it’s an old joke but I still love it). The dust storms will leave your teeth grinding sand and have you scraping dirt out of your ears for days. But all of this has been well documented and it makes Lubbock unique. Dealing with this makes you a good Red Raider, just like arrogance makes you a good longhorn and annoying traditions makes you a good Aggie.

This past weekend, I saw the most spirited group of students/fans that I have ever seen. Words really can’t describe the atmosphere in Lubbock. Excitement radiated from the face of every Tech fan. I think we all knew we were about to witness something special. And witness we did! Since my friends and I could not scrounge together the $300 necessary to watch the game from within Joes AT&T stadium, we settled for the next best thing. We posted up in our old favorite bar across from the stadium. That is where my 10 best friends and I watched history. You may laugh, but it really was history for Texas Tech. In the moment that Crabtree stepped across the goal line, Tech emerged as a nationally recognized football program. I found myself drenched in beer, being carried around the bar by an inebriated fellow fan, screaming at the top of my lungs. This is certainly a memory I will not soon forget.

I haven’t written anything in a while and while I don’t think this post really captures the excitement of this past weekend, I wanted to document it. I am planning on posting more frequently going forward and I should have one after this weekend's game against Okie State.



Wreck'em Tech!!!



No comments: